Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
Hmm.

Well, that depends really. If adding ponies to your reference doesn't provide the impetus for hope and improvement, somethings wrong imo.

Regardless, if I recall, the Dark Sun setting is basically a fantasy post-apocalypse, with several god-kings ruling the surviving bits of a setting that has been all but destroyed. Metal has gone, the enviroment is totalled, and all the usual monsters and so-on are dead, with the gaps filled by deadlier and more exotic creatures.

The average darksun game is a case of gritty survival, but I think such campaigns can eventually lead to the toppling of the, whatever you call them. Sorcerer Kings? And potential improvement of the setting by removing their tyranny from the picture.

So, in the spirit of Fallout Equestria which I haven't read;

Spoiler
Show
You'd have some ancient backstory probably involving Ironhoof Celestia introducing Unicorns to a more powerful form of magic(That just happens to slowly destroy the world around them) and expanding Equestrian rule across the world, driving the unwanted creatures into obscurity (And subjugating those that remained) and using these powers to sieze control of the elements and weather patterns themselves.

Eventually the Unicorns betray Ironhoof Celestia, Imprisoning her in the void. They become Alicorns themselves (Read - Sorcerer Kings) and divide the ruins of Equestria up between them. The leader of the group of Unicorn-Betrayers, in order to complete the seal on Celestia's prison, takes the transformation a step further and becomes the Draconequis (of Tyr. Replace with appropriate ponyplace).

I figure you'd have Unicorns as the Templar equivalent, Earth ponies as an oppressed underclass (somewhere between non-templar humans and Muls, used for labour, gladatioral entertainment etc), and the Pegasi as either rare survivors (hated and feared desert dwellers) or something similar.

I'm sure I could figure out some idea of what species fit what role in Dark Sun Equestria, but I'm sure you get the idea. One of Dark Sun's themes is subverting the usual roles of the races involved, so it'd all be keyed to that concept and the ruined world. Oh and everypony gets a psionic trick or two.
It could be an entertaining thing, but would require a lot of work to figure out the setting.

Alternate, mildly more depressing concept;
Spoiler
Show
The Rajaat analogue could instead be Twilight Sparkle. She's so powerful magically because of her research, that will eventualy become "Defiling" magic, with Celestia and Luna being overthrown at some point during the ponified cleansing wars.

Edit - Uuuh, Nyaa?
I briefly started writing a fanfic to this effect but with the actual characters in the world
Spoiler
Show
Basically my bit was that Discord was the Raajat equivalent, who drew up a circle of unicorns to throw the world into chaos through his own life-draining brand of magic. Celestia, Luna, Chrysallis, and several others were among this number, but generally thought they would be setting themselves up as rulers instead of just sending the world down into eternal chaos.

The Unicorns rebelled eventually but Luna, in a fit of madness, desired power for herself and so elevated herself into the first Alicorn, now known as the Nightmare of Equestria. The other unicorns retreated to their domains to begin their own ascensions.

Celestia began to pursue to Magic of Friendship as an alternative to Alicornhood. Crysallis neared ascension but was laid low by the other unicorn rulers and subjected herself to a ritual to become a love-sucking parasite, and so created her race of Changelings to plot the domination of Equestria.

The mane six are unknowingly part of a prophecy to wield the Elements of Harmony, relics of a lost age that can destroy the Unicorn tyrants and with hope restore Equestria.

Applejack was a Gladiator
Twilight a member of the Harmonic Alliance (Veiled Alliance)
Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy a warrior and shaman of a Pegasus tribe (Pegasi being much like Elves)
Rarity a noble psion (ascended from a dune trader family)
Pinkie Pie a bard

I didn't really think it was a bad idea, but halfway through the 2nd chapter I realized I was just writing the Prism Pentad with MLP characters.