Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
In my experience, kendo is super-formal, and it's not even really about a realistic form of combat. It's a somewhat stylised combat to score points in a very specific sort of way in tournaments.

I'd like to find a German sword school, but I have no idea where to start looking, and also those usually cost money.
Believe it or not, a skilled kendoka is unstoppably fast. you can mitigate the force but if one comes at you with a broomstick an intent, you're gonna get hit. And while striking the armor is for safety in Kendo, that translates to broken wrists, skulls, ribs and collapsed throat in unarmed combat. They may need to think real hard before using it for swordwork, but it is phenomenal stick skill

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
Not for nothing, but is any type of swordfighting, realistic or not, useful in real life?
Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
Well. Maybe not modern real life. But that's not the point. Besides, is carrying a sword illegal?
Not as such. They often fall under knives. Although its still reasonable suspicion, and possibly felonious carrying of a martial arts weapon. As far as generalities go, of course. Specifics are a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
Depends on where you live. It's generally frowned upon, even if it is legal unless you have a permit to carry a concealed deadly weapon and keep it under wraps.
concealed? There is almost no way to carry a sword concealed at the hip. Or did you mean something else?