1. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mynxae's Maliciously Magnificent Random Banter #183

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    I believe it would have depended on the region and the origin of said shouter. A Roman in Spain wouldn't have sounded much different than a modern day Spanish speaker; unless you mean Roman as one born in Rome, in which case there would have been more hand gestures rather than words.

I've never felt Portuguese to be close to Latin, it's certainly more melodic and I believe it has a wider gamma of sounds to work with. My main contact with it is mainly through Bossa Nova lyrics which is not a good way to judge a language though. My understanding is that if you know Portuguese you understand Spanish but not the other way around.

Of the romance language apart from obviously Spanish I've had a relatively constant contact with Italian (due to my mother's side being entirely Italian) and the variations from my grandparents native regions.
    This is all very interesting to me, thank you. You're a fascinating character.

The few times I have heard [Brazilian] Portuguese, especially given the nubile male speaker, I had to visit the fainting couch for a while. I have also heard it told -- though by whom, or why, I remember not -- that it sounds the most Latiny. Now you tell me otherwise, and I am inclined to credit you more than my sketchy recollection.

Of Romance, I am only acquainted with French; but I think of it as greatly deviated from its Latin progenitor: it does not make me think of machismo Romans the way Spanish does, nor does it sound at all in its lickable cadences like I imagine Latin to have had.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-10-16 at 07:12 PM.