1. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Mynxae's Maliciously Magnificent Random Banter #183

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    So, hey, random question to everyone, but I've been getting a lot of texts from my phone provider telling me I'm allowed to upgrade my phone now, and I'm wondering...is it worth it? Because as it is, my cool little Samsung Flip Phone from like a billion years ago is in perfect condition, and does everything I want it to do.
    Not only is the contract going to be expensive to compensate for the equipment being free, but there is a chance the new phone will have features you never use and make the features you did use practically inaccessible if the time gap between phones is too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    This is all very interesting to me, thank you. You're a fascinating character.
    Thou art welcomed and thanked. You are in turn a character of brobdingnagian taste and unmatched elegance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    The few times I have heard [Brazilian] Portuguese, especially given the nubile male speaker, I had to visit the fainting couch for a while. I have also heard it told -- though by whom, or why, I remember not -- that it sounds the most Latiny. Now you tell me otherwise, and I am inclined to credit you more than my sketchy recollection.

Of Romance, I am only acquainted with French; but I think of it as greatly deviated from its Latin progenitor: it does not make me think of machismo Romans the way Spanish does, nor does it sound at all in its lickable cadences like I imagine Latin to have.
    My mother and my sister have returned today from their voyage to Brazil; their experience confirms my recollection of Portuguese speakers understanding Spanish to a decent degree but not vice-versa, their video recordings are also rather enlightening in terms of informal Portuguese being spoken and why one should not ever enter a favela.

I do coincide that French is rather different from Latin, even if part of it is due to my bias against French.

The closest I have heard to Latin is one particular variation of Italian (or it may be a language of its own seeing as Italian "dialects" do seem to be independent languages according to academics, which has the side benefit of allowing me to qualify for polyglot.) which I heard from an uncle living in Sardinia, which I happened to understand slightly better than my mother who is fluent in Italian (mainly by virtue of hints of knowledge of Latin).
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-10-16 at 07:37 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.