Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
I am looking forward to this, I was only mildly interested in the original, simply because of the reasons you stated actually keeping me from it. I'm glad to see a rework on the horizon and hope to see the course a year of work and refining has wrought.
Glad to hear it! The Tome of Radiance is... actually more complex in some ways, but its complexity is highly granular. Rather than attempt to create subclasses and archetypes for every possible magic girl, my goal here is to break the very idea of a magical girl down into components that can be assembled any way the player wishes.

Prestige classes, of course, are the perfect place to put all that unusued specificity - I have quite a few planned, but I'll be trying to get the core of the class posted before I even think of putthing those to paper.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
I'm watching closely for a return of the Dark Magical Girl.
The Dark Magical Girl, following the above design philosophy, will follow a slightly different path. At the root of the matter is that a magical girl (of any class) no longer loses her radiant powers from 'falling'. Goodness is needed to kindle her light, but once you get that fire blazing it won't go out quite so easily.

Thus, dark magical girls can exist even in very low-level games, though it'd take an interesting explanation to detail how one so pure could fall so far, so fast. In fact, dark magical girls are arguably much scarier enemies than they ever were before - their Power of Friendship is no less potent, and the corrupting influence of a dark magical girl could be a nasty surprise for players expecting a broken, tearful woobie and finding an ambitious, jaded psychopath instead.

That said, there will definitely be content aimed specifically at dark magical girls - you can probably spot a couple illumination augmentations already that are less than entirely wholesome, and Heartbreak is outright evil by almost any definition. At absolute best, it horrifyingly cruel and unusual. Of course, the slide works both ways - nothing stops good magical girls from using 'evil' powers. Aside from their conscience.

Long story short - this is the magical girl, but it is definitely a post-Madoka magical girl. There is light and goodness, but there a lot of shades of gray on the way to actual evil, and people don't always stay the people they once were. Particularly young people, which evokers tend to awaken as.