Tal debates in his head. I'd be faster going alone, and they'd be safer in their cabin with the door locked and barricaded. As long as they were quite, I don't think "the infected" would know they were there. These crazies don't seem all that rational and probably have no way of knowing which cabins are still occupied.

On the other hand, the boy -- Adam -- will be more willing to go with his family than a complete stranger, and my chances are probably better with their help.

"Okay. Let's go,"
he says, picking up his hiking stick. Grab the bed sheet to take with us."

He smiles to Emma, "We're having an adventure. You may see some scary things, but we're going to get through this alright. Don't be scared."

Tal tears a strip from the bed sheet to tie over his mouth, like a face mask. "I don't know how this infection is being transmitted. Better safe than sorry," he explains, with a look in his eye suggesting that they do the same.

He will listen to see if he can tell which direction the noise of other infected is coming from.
Spoiler
Show
Perception (3d6)[11]

Assuming he doesn't hear anything too close coming from that direction, he will head stern-ward toward the central stairs and elevators. If he does hear something approaching from that way, he will take one of the cross-wise hallways to the starboard side and try to reach the same route.
Spoiler
Show
If he ends up back on the starboard side of the ship, he'll try to make a quick stop in his cabin to grab his daypack, iPad, jacket and hat. I wish I'd thought to bring a first aid kit on this trip.

Whether they try to take the stairs or an elevator to Deck 11 is going to depend on where the elevators are and where they hear any infected.