Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
nobody does..but I would have the concern.

never said I want predictability or chlichés.. then again, it's kinda hard to evade every possible cliché in a world that has a few billion books and on a medium where most themes have already been explored. I don't see how you go from "not having people dumped from 21st century real world into a fantasy environment" to being a cliché story. it's not like that team hasn't been tried already..it's the very premise of the original cartoon.
I know you didn't say that, hence why it was a question rather than a statement.

I went to cliche stories because you seem to not want genre-savvy characters, while genre-savvy characters could only utilise their genre-savviness if the world adhered to the general lines of the genre, and thus cliches and predictability (heck, genre-savviness is generally the ability to predict what is going to happen and use out-of-the-box thinking to try and get the best possible outcome).

I just prefer to see characters who aren't stumped by "how does one make a rope in the middle-ages" or "how do you put up a leather cuirass/saddle a horse" because they've never seen one .. or trying to tackle inworld problems with IRL modern thought processes..
purely a personal preference, of course.
People from the Middle Ages end up in a DnD world. Two of them are ancestors of Gygax and Arneson.