Q 1111

Suppose I have either the extraordinary or the supernatural Hide in Plain Sight ability. Then suppose I make a Hide check to hide in plain sight (without performing any other action, so that this check represents a nonaction), but an enemy's reactive Spot check beats my Hide check.

When will be my next opportunity to hide in plain sight from this enemy?

Your answer to this question will help me answer a handful of similar questions, because I can think of several free actions or nonactions whose success is determined by skill checks. It seems to me counter to common sense that one should be permitted to make an infinite number of skill checks after one's first check fails, merely because each of these checks represents a free action or nonaction that the RAW allow you take an unlimited number of times. But if this is not permitted (as I believe it should not be), then what interval must separate one's failed free action or nonaction from one's next re-try?

Thanks to Lateral, Curmudgeon, KillianHawkeye, and Andezzar for giving me enough information to ask this question!