Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaich View Post
But to be honest I'm actually fairly dubious it was such a factor in Italy, I think the popular narrative about this is off and probably based on some very old data.
What do you mean by popular narrative? I think "the rise of the signori" is the popular narrative. (I'll have to double check Machiavelli, when I have the chance).

What I've been presenting is, to the best of my knowledge, the "current" narrative. As for being based on "very old data" -- well, if by that you mean a careful study of the period sources and archives, then yes! ;-) If you mean that more current research has overturned the narrative -- then I'm more than willing to look at that research.

Can you suggest *another* source on the rise of the Condottiere in Italy -- which I will limit my claims to from here on. Pictures of battles don't really constitute a detailed study. I wish I could find a copy of Mallett's and Hale's book on Venice, as that sounds like its a more detailed study of a state which even Mallett claims benefitted from the best trained militia in Italy (supporting its mercenary armies).

Possibly some of William Caferro's works would be useful here, not only are they recent, but they deal with the early period of mercenaries.