Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
I can think of a good one: Choices in play happen all the time; Choices in character creation happen relatively rarely. For that reason you get a lot more "mileage" out of effort put into designing good in-play choices than effort put into creation choices. This is not to say that character creation doesn't matter, I just don't think it should be the focus.
I agree with you, but there is the school of thougths claiming that, because character creation choice have usually more far reaching and permanent consequences they should matter more.

@tuggyne
It seems we agree on the general principle but not on the implementation, devil in the detail indeed...
On a personal note though I believe that a system in which character creation can take a number of hours with double digit is doing it wrong.

On a side note I would also add that a perfectly balanced system is only possible within a system with a really close and limited matematical array of ooptions; 4e is the closest thing to a mind as an example and we all know how that turned out.