The Mayor

"Oh, well thank you, sir," Alec says, equal parts cheer and respect; he makes sure to shake the man's hand. He also very nearly offers the bottle of wine for free (free to the mayor and not so free to his own pocket, that is) in exchange for opening it over dinner that night with him, Tallhelm, and a few other members of the caravan; he could bring Indrys, maybe Laerler or Cecily too, and learn about the political situation in Stormgate. But Seabreak is so remote and Alec decides he could put the gold to better use somewhere else, so he lets Martin pay and wishes him an entertaining evening with the bottle.

The Captain

This idea sits well with Alec; he wants the militia to be well protected, believe it or not. If there's no town in the first place, then it can't very well build into the vision he has for Seabreak. And besides, there's no reason that militia members can't take up their swords for less legal causes and play a central role in his long-term plans.

"I want to take you up on that," he promises truthfully, "but first I've got to check with the others. Let me ask them and I'll come by the jail later to let you know, unless you can wait for a bit."

The Fisherman

He also likes this plan, as it gets one more weapon into local hands. If Alec had his way, he'd trade the rest of the bows for a similar price and leave the villagers hungry and well-armed, primed for raiding. But the others aren't likely to agree.

"Hmm. I suppose that's an idea, but you've got to understand the quality of this bow. Your fish are fine, surely, but I think we'll need more of them to meet the price. How about nine barrels?" He's nearly positive he'll be answered with a much lower counter-offer and they'll end up somewhere in the middle (if the man takes his price outright, Alec'll buy the bow himself; he shouldn't let the lesson pass by when he meets someone so willing to throw away their valuables). In the mean time, he tries to get the attention of the others at the wagon--or better yet, sends Adrian to get input from everyone regardless of where they've run off to. Hopefully he'll have a general consensus by the time he and the fisherman settle on a number, even if he then has to refuse his customer by popular vote of his companions.

Spoiler
Show

Haggle-Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[15]

And the Info

Werewolves, hm? That's a thought. Alec wonders if the pelt would still be available after death, or if the creature would become human again. Such a thing would make a nice trophy.

Speculation aside, he now has another reason to visit the inn. Grimfist by name alone is someone he needs to meet; maybe he'll find a kindred spirit. Or a bitter rival hell-bent on defending the town, either from altruism or a hatred for competition. Alec feels excited just thinking about it. This could be a test for him or a key ally; both make him eager for nightfall.

Out of kindness for Glaffin and fear of serious retribution, Alec thinks that he'll stay away from the shrine. The local alchemist may be less fortunate. That's an opportunity he vows to look into, and he already has an idea for how to proceed. Glaffin may be surprised when, at the end of the day once the square starts to clear, Alec offers to buy his remaining five cubes.