Quote Originally Posted by Librarian_Conan View Post
Alright, I'm about to start playing in what will be my 2nd ever 3.5 game. My issue is I don't know many classes and the party seems to have filled all but the Rogue role.

The level 10 party consists of

• A Fairy/Pixie(Not sure of race) Favored Soul focusing on melee and buffing/healing (As optimized as this combination can be apparently)

• A Gnomish Bard/Mindbender/Lyric Thaumaturge who is the party face and focusing on buffing and some debuffs (Mid level optimization)

• A dwarven Ranger/Barbarian/Fighter/Fist of the Forests/Deepwarden/Frostrager (Don't ask me why but apparently it can VERY hard)

• A Wizard/incantrix/warweaver focusing on buffs and some nasty AoE spells

So my issue is that it seems only a rogue could really fit in here without stepping on anyone else's toes but I have never played a rogue and only seen a rather bland, run around and stab things in the back while losing in damage to an unoptimized fighter type of rogue which doesn't seem all that fun. I am more than open to playing any other class that would fit into this party without showing someone up, and the DM has expressed some concern over not having any reliable ranged damage beyond AoE spells.
The restritictions on creating this character are no Exalted, no psionics, no BoVD, and only 3.5 material.
Well there are a few things you can do. You can still do a ranged rogue, which requires a heavy feat tax, with hand cross bows. Ick. You can be a ranger as a base also and take an ACF that replaces your tracking with trap finding and disabling them, which is helpful, since you get ranged archery thanks to one of your focuses, and you can still use some spells if you are more comfortable with this role, which it seems you might be.

A rogue though can be very focused in one of a few areas. Party face as well, since they get all the cha based influential skills. Or they can be stealth based and the party scout. Also if you do go rogue look in City scape for the penetrating strike feature. Allows you to sneak attack anything that is normally immune to sneak attack. Only time it cant be is if it can't be flanked, which can then also be solved in most instances by the darkstalker feat.

So the big question now becomes what are you most comfortable with, a few spells ala ranger, or more spell casting thus putting you more in touch with a beguiler role?