View Single Post

Thread: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

1. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roarinflames View Post
    Some text that amounts to "MY DM IS AN IDIOT!" if interprated a certain way.
    {Scrubbed}
    Seriously, new DM here, been DMing for 6 months, hi. My players complain about nearly every single thing I do ever, because it poses a severe risk to their character, since I usually give them something meant to challenge them and it ends up working too well.
    A few mistakes here and there, biggest mistake I've ever made has to do with the Wizard's Spells, which was remedied in a way that had very little requirement for an explaination on my part about said screw up. Yes I had to explain myself, but I made it fit into the game and took away a free Wish. Tried to extract the other one, but they couldn't see anything in it for them.
    If you admit you goofed up and fix your mistakes, then that's okay, but it sounds like the OP's DM is too stubborn to do that.

Point is, new DMs should be expected to make more mistakes in general, than more experienced DMs. However, they should also invest more time in the game, reading up on the rules and creating their own unique stories for the players to involve themselves in, than any of the players. They shouldn't just be a tool that a player can use to tell a story about their "awesome character who never fails at anything." They should challenge all players and make the game as enjoyable as possible for everyone at the table.
    Who said that, and where?
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-11-03 at 02:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show