Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
And this would be different if Disney didn't buy it out...how? Whether Disney bought out Company X or Company X went on without ever being bought out by another company, eventually someone new will take control of it.

If Disney didn't buy out Lucasfilm, it still would have been under new management whenever Lucas ceded control to someone else (probably Kathleen Kennedy). And, if Lucasfilm stayed around for long enough, it would go to someone else. And everything you just stated about new people inc harge applies just as much whether Disney bought it out or they didn't.
The difference is there's a lot more eggs in one basket when it's all under one big umbrella corporation (especially at the rate Disney is acquiring other big brands/franchises). So it means if and when it goes all pear-shaped, you could lose a lot more than if it was seperate companies. It's not Disney per se that bothers me, it's just any one corporation acquring too much of anything. (One only has to look to EA and their record on acquisitions to get a little concerned. Or if, somewhere down the line, someone decides to go aggressively after, say, fansites (like TSR did at the end)...)

You may call me cynical and paranoid - and you'd probably be right - but the current climate in media and entertainment generally is really not doing optimism any favours. (I'm finding generally less and less and less of anything I like being made.)