1. - Top - End - #1198
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    RE; 'Snipers are bad'.

I'm currently slogging my way through Ironman Impossible. I was told in not-uncertain terms that don't bother with Snipers because they don't get good until later, and, on Impossible, there is no 'Get Good Later'. Wheras Heavies get Bulletstorm early and Heat Ammo is basically mandatory, so you definitely want more than one - which replaces the Sniper slot. And, since Snipers can't move and shoot, and on Hard, Pistols "Don't do enough damage" endquote.

I don't think the issue was that Snipers are bad. Just that Heavies are required and Snipers...Aren't.
    Heavies are unquestionably the workhorses for the early game, and are still very powerful late, destroying mechs, and clearing cover for your Squadsight snipers.

Snipers are dominant mid game and late game conversely. Squadsight, Battle Scanners and Opportunist are powerful enough to break the game (DT is _definitely_ a gamebreaker). There is such thing as 'later' if you play conservatively, doubly so for Squadsights that keep to the back. Once you have carapace or better, only exceptionally bad luck will result in the loss of a conservatively microed squadsighter.