1. - Top - End - #177
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What are the problems with the "A song of ice and fire" series?

Just posting a new gripe I found with something SoIaF.

My wife, knowing my affinity for the show, gave the first season on Blu-Ray to me as a birthday present. The audio commentaries are alright, though nothing special (Sean Bean being completely absent, and Peter Dinklage only in one), but there is one that stands out in terms of being interesting: GRRM as the sole commentator on "The Pointy End" (he also wrote the screenplay for that particular episode). I thought it was chiefly a wasted opportunity, since he did virtually nothing except point out where the differences between the show and book were, and say how he would have made it much more expansive, costly, and longer if he'd had his way. Only rarely did he take advantage of the opportunity to give new perspective on the show or books. Though he did mention:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That while the show will have little influence on the books going forward, he liked Natalia Tena's portrayal of Osha so much that when she reappears, she will be more like the show's version.

That said, if anyone has the chance to watch the histories they included with the set, do so. They're in-character and narrated by several actors from the show: Maester Luwin, Arya, Robert Baratheon, Viserys, and Tywin Lannister. Very well done. They also provide accounts of the same events, as seen from different viewpoints.
    Last edited by Sinfonian; 2012-11-01 at 07:16 PM.