So, yeah, finally read the chapter, here come my thoughts, neatly arranged in remarks in answer on a couple of quotes:
Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
Spoiler
Show
Ice Make: Unlimited Blade Works! Off-the-cuff theory: Rufus *could* memorize it, if he had waited until the whole arc was complete and memorized the structure as a single spell. Instead he tried to memorize each individual part, got overwhelmed by the speed they were being generated at, and was too flustered to take the opportunity to snapshot the completed effect once it was set and before Grey launched it.
Can you spell sensory overload? What basically happened is that Gray was faster then rufus. My guess is that when you try to momeorize magic you need to see how it's done, what the effect is and plainly what it looks like when executed (or at least some sensory recording). If any of these aspects fail becuase you have no direct line of sight/hearing/etc. or you can't keep up with what happens, you've lost. to make a memory you need to do 3 things where a person executing the magic does one. It carries huge risks, but has almost unlimited potential. this way you can deprive an ememy of his or her weapons, or use their weapons against them. It doesn't come for free however.
Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
Spoiler
Show
I for one hope Grey keeps the hat.
No. it doesn't suit him, it's not his style, something along those lines...
Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
Spoiler
Show
Another win for Fairy Tail but at least it made sense in the fight.

Also Grey looted the hat! Way to go Grey!
agreed, Gray was on a timer here. rufus could draw it out, but gray needed to beat rufus ASAP becuase of the tactical advantage. His tactics were actually quite well executed: first: get to know thyne enemy, buy time to devise strategy, bring out appropriate big guns. And yes while keeping it is not a good idea, looting the hat shows style. Bonus points earned I'd say.
Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Ditto It looks very charming. And I've always been a fan of that FF Red Mage style hat.

Hehe, that's what I thought as well. Okay, he nearly called it that himself.

Meh, decent chapter. Of course no surprise but it worked.
Also, I like how Mavis commented basically on the recent discussion: "Sometimes emotions can overcome calculations."
Good summary of how logic works in FT.

Otherwise... Yeah, not much to say. But it was okay.
well, ofcourse. emotions are like nature's limitbreaker. this is turned up to 11 with dragonslayer magic where emotions literally are the catalyst of one's magic and serve as some kind of endless fuel. the fact that you can make a statistical distribution based on one's powers can't reliably account for the limitbreak of emotions since the rise in strength isn't that accountable. Emotions can help people do the most improbable things, and keep them from doing the most simple things, they are a wildcard in statistical analysis, and ultimately uncontrolled.
Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
Potential for drama from Sabertooth disappeared when Natsu crushed the two ST dragonslayers easily.
yes pertaining to the mostpowerful of the guild type of things, no on killing the entire potential for drama. natsu did that. he had beef with the guild. he went all-out. natsu is currently not fighting in the tounament. -> drama back in, if FT doesn't win something might happen to Lucy. Plus I want to know how strong Gajeel has become.

All in all, I thought is was a neat chapter. concise, to the point and kept a good pacing. I'm curious how the other FT's are going to curbstomp.