Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
A blank? Nothing. It's more of attracting a deamon's attention I believe then any actual 'psychic' thing. But you still need a least some presence in the warp for the deamons to 'hear' you speak.
No.. a Daemon's true name is a word of power. Not a call to battle. Daemons are terrified of those who use their true names against them, and just hearing them spoken weakens a daemon. Rites of binding, controlling, summoning and destroying a daemon are all much more efficacious with the rite. This is spelled out pretty explicitly in the Radicals Handbook.

And in Dark Heresy, and the 3ed Codex, there is no mention of speaking a name driving one instantly to insanity. Indeed, the Radical's Handbook mentions them a lot and doesn't even give out "Insanity Lite" in the form of corruption or insanity points.

I can't find the loud hailer passage, but I think the purpose would be to find the name of the daemon being fought, by the instinctive discomfort of the daemon. Then once the name has been found, start to use it in a more deliberate manner.

Incidentally, there are some paragraphs on psyker machines. It implies that Psyker manifestation *is* genetic in part. The Dark magos who create the weapons mass manufacture psyker brains(specifically through genetic manipulation), then put them in guns.

It also reminds me, that psychic phenomena is not really so poorly understood. The drug spook gives anybody who uses it psychic powers, or enhances psychcic powers already possessed. The imperium has technological psy-scanners, which mimic the powers of telepaths.