View Single Post

Thread: D&D 5th Edition: Thread #7

1. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition: Thread #7

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    A suggestion I made on the WotC forums:

Rogues at level 6 gain Dirty Fighting (or whatever you want to call it), this ability makes it so anytime a rogue attacks someone with advantage, and both rolls hit, the result is treated as a critical strike.

Basically this brings rogues up to a 50% crit chance when they have advantage. I ran the numbers, and it brings the rogue from just below 50% of the Fighter's average damage, to around 80% of the Fighter's damage (varying with how often you have advantage or a friend in melee. I assumed Advantage about 50%, with a friend in melee about 80%, which I considered pretty fair).

This still doesn't really do anything about the fact that 5e's skill system is horrible, which means the rogue's main schtick is bad, but it brings the rogue's average damage closer up to par, while making it feel burstier and I think better fitting the rogue feel.
    Given the fact that two turns is usually mandatory to get consistent advantage, the basic unreliability of needing advantage (which may not always be possible to exact, even with a turn devoted to it) and the lack of damage distribution flexibility, I feel the Rogue should get a small premium over the Fighter's 2 round total DPR.