Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
I confess I've never read World War Z but Max Brook's Zombie Survival Guide did show a lot of careful thought and research throughout.
No no it did not. Well perhaps careful thought but there are so many flaws throughout that book which suggests a total lack of research.

Like how much damage the human body can sustain and still be considered a threat. For example if you got shot in the arm and couldn't feel pain? You would be lucky to be able to move your arm correctly as the muscles would be torn up, worse by even trying the muscles get torn up more. If you could move your arm you wouldn't be very strong with it. It's not a matter of pain it's a matter of your muscle has a gaping hole in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
*Why Zombies don't work.*
Exactly this post. Go read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
I've not read the Zombie Survival Guide, but could I clarify that they suffer massive organ damage and tissue death prior to death, but afterwards their bodies enter some form of biological stasis, with the Solanum providing the energy for both locomotion and this stasis?

I assume that this Solanum also provides the reason why the zombies aren't attacked by wildlife and bugs?

And because of their biological stasis, the zombie doesn't have any broken bones and torn muscles from this? Or does the act of destroying the barricade also pretty much incapacitate the zombie in the process?

Note that pain is a warning sign that you're damaging your body through over-stressing it, so a zombie can keep up its superior physical capabilities for a while until it literally tears itself apart (presumably what you mean by muscle degradation). However this contradicts the biological stasis mentioned earlier, unless I'm mis-understanding what Solanum does.
Alright, Solarium basically makes them immune to rotting as wildlife naturally avoids them and they're poisonous to everything. Except humans. We zombify instead.

However it does not address the degradation that the human body naturally goes through every time you do well anything. As well as all the minor injuries that you get when you can't feel pain and lack the intelligence that slugs have.

So yeah they might take a while to rot but they will cripple themselves very fast just by not resting. Plus they are very easy to just walk away from. Hordes of zombies don't happen because they are hunting prey that are faster then them, smarter then them, possess tools and the ability to create barriers, and possess weapons that can easily destroy zombies.

The problem with Brooks is that he went out to make his zombies realistic and still an actual threat. Naturally he failed as I think that's pretty much impossible. But he didn't realize that he failed and that's the problem.