Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
Would you mind explaining what you mean by this comment? Because in my opinion, most anything you do with omnipotence would mess with free will, which is a large part of why I stated I would do nothing to this world, and would just create my own to tweak and enable as I saw fit.
The very notion of omnipotence alone doesn't make for a Mary Sue attitude, but given some of the answers... I probably mention it because of some of Snowfire's answers, particularly the one about omnipotence limited by omniscience. The answer was VERY akin to Mary-Suedom: Snowfire would grant itself omniscience; however, there are no repercussions to having multiple universes' worth of knowledge all at once in a fraction of the second. At the very best, that'd be like watching Cthulhu in the face, by which I mean all knowledge at once inevitably leads to madness.

A reasonable answer would be that the omnipotent person would prepare its mindset to withstand the wealth of omniscience BEFORE bequeathing itself omniscience, lest it become a pathway to madness. If the answer is "oh, since I'm omnipotent, I can simply grant myself omniscience without the troubles of madness", that reeks of NOT understanding the whole purpose of the power. Even for omnipotent people, reckless use of such power comes with repercussions: not even considering these repercussions leads to Mary-Sueism.

The decision of non-interference with the existing Universe given omnipotence is a wise decision, Eldest, but I believe it still requires some temperance. Creating a new world isn't something simple, much less without omniscience, at least not without creating something that allows for free will yet doesn't threaten other universes. Also, the idea of creating a new universe implies whether you choose to follow the current rules and laws of physics, or if you choose to blatantly ignore them, which can cause a load of troubles (such as, say, creating an antimatter universe, unless you attempt to prevent inter-universal crossing).

Mentioning that someone with omnipotence will eventually influence another person's free will is also a wise recognition, and another concern. Note how in one of the posts, Snowfire basically erased someone from existence; that interfered with the other posters' free will, opening a path to ignoring the rules of our little game. Fortunately, this isn't real, and much less serious; yet, it's a terrible attitude to assume if it were real, and all to ensure a "win".

That said: it's great that you cleared your position regarding the hypothetical use of your powers, but it's natural to assume that anyone with instant omnipotence would make unwise decisions, ones that interfere with the free will of some to grant boons to others. Thus, it's fair to assume that anyone with the power of omnipotence acquired by chance would lean towards Mary-Sueism. My apologies if you felt bashed by my comment, but I was already feeling bad by hearing posts with an excessive amount of pride.

Yes, I take some discussions seriously. I believe most of us geeks take the discussion of superpowers seriously given time.