View Single Post

Thread: D&D 5th Edition: Thread #7

1. - Top - End - #622
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition: Thread #7

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Do you have a citing for that figure by chance? Because the word "Usual" and thus "usually" means "common or expected occurrence" no matter which definition you use, which implies a much greater percentage than 40%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual, p.305
    Alignment: This line in the monster entry gives the alignment this creature is most likely to have. Every entry includes a qualifier that indicates how broadly that alignment applies to all monsters of that kind.

Always: The creature is born with the indicated alignment. The creature may have a hereditary predisposition to the alignment or come from a plane that predetermines it. It is possible for individuals to change alignment, but such individuals are either unique or rare exceptions.

Usually: The majority (more than 50%) of these creatures have the given alignment. This may be due to strong cultural influences, or it may be a legacy of the creature's origin. For example, most elves inherited their chaotic good alignment from their creator, Corellon Larethian.

Often: The creature tends towards the given alignment, either by nature or nurture, but not strongly. A plurality (40%-50%) of individuals have the given alignment, but exceptions are common.
    Nuance! In MY D&D?!? It's more likely than you think.

Orcs are Often Chaotic Evil (MM1, p.203) so thus ~45% of Orcs are CE, with the rest having other aligments. I was wrong about how they are distributed though; I assumed the "one space off" rules applied like with Clerics choosing their deity, but the text implies it's random.

(BTW, this quote counts as OGL right? Not sure, since Corellon Larethian is proprietary, but I know the Core books are almost entirely duplicated in the SRD)

-Edit-

DAMN THOSE ACCURSED NINJAS!
    Last edited by Water_Bear; 2012-11-11 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Ninjas