Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
Also: It would have been nice if they had been up front about this when marketing the game, which would have made me not waste a lot of money on a pre-order expecting a typical Bioware RPG.
They did. Several times over. I mean... go look at the trailer again. Flemeth outright narrates that it's about fate. She even says that if you don't accept fate than you will suffer. The devs mentioned several times that it was about the journey to greatness, that it wasn't about what you did but who you were.
They couldn't have been more overt about it short of spoiling the game or start describing it in absolute negative terms.

I suspect that a lot of people didn't take it as seriously as they should. Rationalising that it was a Bioware game and as such they'd probably like it (I saw this a lot the months before release).

Warty goblin has a point though, most games speak about fate despite not meaning it. Usually you achieve stuff by your own power despite being "fated". So I suppose the term was a bit diluted as well.