1. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Culture explores 40K II: Now With 100% more Fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    I don't see how lessening the impact of the warp, reducing its hold on folk, and calming it would be a bad thing. You might not be able to use the exact pylon design to do that, but surely a variant could manage to force the warp to something like a pre chaos gods state?
    None of those are cutting the warp off entirely. So yeah they aren't bad things at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    That would require that the Warp is able to affect things even when it is closed off. Otherwise, all that would result is the Culture doing a full reload from backup of every single organic in their civilization. (the workings of all the organics being fully understood in the real, their organics don't require the warp to work)
    But clearly, they would distribute reload technology everywhere before implementing the plan. Or only implementing it across a section of the galaxy.

And in any case, if the pylons do cause a warp-null area, why don't people die when they walk into such a field? (I understand psykers can't do their thing, but that's it, no?)

EDIT:
    (say, they claim a large section of the the Eastern fringe and just isolate that + the insides of all their ships from the Warp and leave the rest of the galaxy alone)
    Actually, this is the rather more likely plan, given the Eldar won't use reload technology, and that dissociating the whole galaxy would result in a mass death like never before seen.

So let's run with this as the actual "no more warp... for us" plan.

The Culture, of course, doesn't see it that way. They don't regard the warp-part of the body as being part of the person.

But that's a cultural clash about to happen in the future. Maybe I'll hint at that idea for the Eldar part in this part 7.5. =D
    Or that some part of everything needs the connection to the warp to live, or perhaps just to be something that could be identified as intelligent life.

Why don't they die? Well there is no canon reason. However I theorize that losing the warp is A) isn't instantly fatal or B) Pervasive enough that being in a small field actually does allow some access still. I think that being in a null field though is instinctively terrifying. You want to get out as fast as you can and at best you feel uneasy and discontent. (which coincidentally would make them an even more terrifying weapon then they already are.) People get a similar response to nulls, they are uneasy in their presence and instinctively hate and fear them.

Oh sure but the Culture doesn't believe in the soul at all while the Eldar have empirical evidence that it exists. Actually all races but Tau and Orks know that they have souls. Orks don't care and Tau haven't bothered to check.

I don't know for sure what closing the Warp off would do, or not. Is there anything approaching consensus regarding this issue???
    The old canon is that it would be an extinction level event for pretty much all intelligent life and certainly for the Eldar. (Except Necrons who didn't have souls in the old canon.)

By new canon I don't think it's possible at all. Even if it was no one would dare to try.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...ylons-on-Cadia

a fan thread compiling info. Folk seem unsure whether they calm, stabilize, or cut off access to the warp, or just disrupt it, or something else.
    By the new Chaos Codex book, destroying those pylons would allow the Chaos Space Marines to leave the Eye from whatever direction they want, instead of just through Cadia gate.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2012-11-14 at 02:10 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.