View Single Post

Thread: Character advice; a dual wield axe user

1. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Character advice; a dual wield axe user

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa333 View Post
    Hello again ;)

I am still working on putting together my crazy campaign, and my players foolishly think I'm the person to ask questions on making; they don't know I run ideas by the forum people here ;)

Anyway, I'm trying to help a player optimize his damage out put while wielding two axes. Race and class don't seem to matter as much as being able to charge the front lines and do crazy amounts of damage. Being stealthy is also a bonus. So naturally, wanting to dual wield and be stealthy, I start thinking of the Ranger and the Scout. reading the descriptions, I figured scout would be more suited to this, but then when using the character builder, the scout uses all stances and no powers. I can't see how that balances out.
    Melee basic attack + Good stance > At Will power - for practical purposes most At Will powers for weapon users are a MBA with a slight upgrade. And the Scout has good melee basic attacks and good stances. Scouts gain the Dual Strike attack (or whatever it's called) meaning that if they hit with the first axe they get a free swing with the second.

Working from memory a first level dex 20 scout with Axe Expertise in Charging Ram stance does on the charge:

+9 to hit (+5 stat, +2 axe, +1 expertise, +2 stance) doing d10+9 damage and reroll 1s (reroll 1s) (d10 axe + 5 (stat) + 2 (spinning axe mastery) +2 (stance)).
    Follow up with handaxe if you hit:
    +10 to hit (+5 stat, +2 axe, +1 expertise, Combat advantage as the enemy is now prone) doing d6+7 damage (reroll 1s).

Average damage assuming two hits: 26. Not bad for an at will attack by a first level PC with no magic items.

So yes, scouts can keep up and absolutely make mincemeat of low AC foes. (Needing to hit twice is a serious problem against soldiers and other high AC foes).

So long story short: is there any other way than pure ranger to be good at dual wielding?
    Rangers, Scouts, Fighters, and Barbarians all have ways of wielding a pair of axes to make monster-cuisineart.
    Last edited by neonchameleon; 2012-11-14 at 10:59 AM.