Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
One could make a good argument for Twilight being as close to a canon sue, as say, the Doctor is in his own show (or Sasuke - or Naruto himself, for that matter - in Naruto). This is not necessarily a bad thing (and Lix said sueish, not "sue", even canon Sasuke isn't quite a Gary Stu, risible a character as he is.)

To go back Lix's original comment, I think Twi is certainly hax enough...

(I mean, special magical talent that nopony else (living?) has, personal student of the Princess, copy magic by seeing it just once (which sparked this whole debate!) and reputedly the most powerful unicorn in Equestria? What more do you want? Yeah, if this was Pokemon, she'd be using Thunder as armour and "shooting for the horn" with Thunderbolt like nopony's business!)

Angsty... well, by Equestrian standards, maaaybe...!

Also, I still am totally seeing the "Shining-is-Itachi, massecre-was-just-a-practical-joke that Twisuke overreacted to, is willfully blocking it out, despite best efforts of parents" thing.

Besides, Kakashi has the sharigarn, and he's freakin' awesome.

Speaking of Epic LotR Pony...

They picked some good bits to parody there, hitting the emotional events, rather than the plot-based ones, as I might have expected. Very nicely and hilariously - and epically! - done.
I could say all of the Mane characters are sueish.

Rainbow Dash is the fastest pegasus alive with a rainbow mane and can perform a stunt that was otherwise legendary.

Fluttershy can stare down dragons and even a cockatrice. She has a special bond with animals and is an amazing singer. Also she became a world famous model.

Rarity is incredibly beautiful with all the stallions just instantly falling in love with her. She's also very rich and can generally just talk anything into doing what she wants.

Pinkie Pie has strange powers that no other pony can do or understand. Everypony is her friend and nothing bad really happens to her.

Celestia is a immortal princess with a unique mane who has powers over the sun. And everypony loves and admires her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
Well, I suppose I've always associated the notion of Mary Sue with the desire of the author to live vicariously through the character. The thought of one of the writers on the show wanting to actually, ehem, be Twilight Sparkle seemed kind of silly to me, you know?
I've always associated it with bad writing. If it fits then by definition it cannot be a Sue.