Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
New item
Incoming Hurricane on-hit Lulu. Bolts all day, onhit everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiery Tower View Post
I think you underestimate the knowledge and skill that comes into being a support, even one like soraka. Sure you can jump slightly higher in elo then you should be able to spamming a champion with a low skill floor like soraka, doing okay, and then relying on the rest of your team to carry. However, you can do that with practically any role. While support is low on mechanics and pure skill, there is a lot more knowledge that the average support needs to have compared to other roles. You're the main warder, so you need to know what parts of the map have to be warded when, or else someone could die for it, they could get free objectives, or you can easily walk into a trap. In teamfights you need at least a little bit of knowledge of all roles, because if you don't you might not heal the jax who could have killed their adc instead of wasting the heal on your adc who would have survived, or silenced the jayce whose cooldowns are down instead of the ryze who is spamming spells, or exhausted their adc instead of the annie who hasn't ulted yet.
This. Something I've noticed that a lot of "support = ward and then AFK in bush" thinking people (not saying you're one of them, Laudandus, but your post seems to indicate that direction of thought) seem to play very very passive supports.

As someone who plays supports often, I think that a support has several things they really should be doing in lane:

-Harassing enemy support and ADC. Focus on harassing the ADC or support depending on things such as lifesteal, heals, etc.
-Making sure your ADC can farm.
-Keeping their ADC from farming as much as possible.
-Winning fights before they happen by harassing/making the enemy waste spells.
-Winning fights while they happen via well-placed use of abilities (i.e. silence just as Graves wants to ult for a kill or Ez wants to jump away; heal right before the Ignite hits).
-Warding to make sure that your aggression doesn't result in massive ganks.

This is...quite a bit to do. You need to judge who to harass (in a lane like Graves/Sona, I'd go for Sona, for example, early on, since Graves' lifesteal will let him shrug off early harass unless it's really concentrated, especially if Sona has lower resistances, to make her use her mana for healing herself), harass them, make sure the enemy can't jump you, make sure you have vision and don't get ganked, try and keep their ADC from farming while protecting your own ADC.

This is probably one of the reasons why I play aggressive supports (or not normally aggressive supports as aggressive; i.e. Soraka who IMO is actually perfect for a hyperaggressive lane), since 'bushcamp, heal when carry is hurt' is the definition of a terrible support in my experience.

One of the reasons I don't play ADC is because, when I do, I almost inevitably want to spend all of laning lecturing my support on how they need to help me in lane instead of warding and sitting in the bush.