Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCat View Post
I don't disagree that a lot of men don't get what a lot of women are attracted to, but I don't think the media competition is hard enough, and the money men smart enough, for it to be necessary for the media to cater to anyone who has money.
I should rephrase my statement to "the media attempts to cater to anyone with money."

I've heard enough stories about aspiring writers being asked to change their works into something less progressive, because the people in charge were more conservative than the audience. An obvious example is how long it took Lauren Faust to be allowed to create a show for young girls that wasn't horribly stereotyped and deliberately dumped down, because the men in charge were convinced there was no money in it. It's hard to find words for how wrong they were.
Well, yeah, and there's things like this, too. (The statement was made in the same year as Juno and Waitress.)

Of course, maybe they're right that women are more willing to consume fiction made for men (thus reducing the need to make anything specifically for women), that men are less tolerant of fanservice for women than vice versa. Women's tolerance towards the Transformers movies and men's utter (and very vocal) hatred of Twilight seems to indicate that might be the case , but I'm not completely convinced.
Again, they make plenty of movies specifically for women, or at least that they think are specifically for women. It's just, as fundamentally flawed as the idea that dudes like Megan Fox and explosions is, the ideas about the only things that women can and do like are even worse. Again, my point wasn't to defend "fanservice" as somehow equal in any way, so much as to argue that fanservice, regardless of the demographic, is based around some weird Neanderthal vision of culture that hasn't ever really been true.

PS: Watched both The Expendables movies and loved them, despite none of the men really doing anything for me sexually. But I suspect that if/when an Expendables movie with women are made, the instructor will choose to forego actors like Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamilton because they're getting old (thus completely missing the point), and hire younger and more fanservice friendly actors to appeal to the male demographic
Well, yeah, I mean, old dudes are convinced women of all ages find old dudes attractive, but obviously any woman older than their daughers/trophy wives (whichever is lower) is totally gross and should only be in movies where she, like, knits or something. Makes tea, maybe?
Besides, women obviously wouldn't want to see an action movie at all, unless it had sexy (middle-aged) men who are sexy by virtue of their big muscles, while men wouldn't want to see some lame girlie action movie full of lame girls unless it's, like, a Charlie's Angels thing. Men like guns and boobs, women like adaptations of Victorian novels with some guy the focus groups told us is really handsome. Duh.