Chapter III

Spoiled Rotten

Myriam walks down the halls of a dimly lit castle. The tapestries are old and depict a old heroes of war in saintly garb. The dryad stops before two enormous oil paintings. One shows a young woman with black hair wearing an armor. She wields a great sword and looks at the viewer with stern eyes. The other painting shows a beautiful woman, very similar to the armored one, with long lustrous hair. She has a vivacious smile and carries an ermine in her arms. She is dressed in flowing crimson robes.

I'm so sorry...

Myriam walks further down the hall and stops as two guards check her for weapons, then allow her in.

In a grand, yet very dark hall, a man dressed in a black cape adorned with grey fur sits at the end of a long table. His plate has been nearly untouched. He pours a large goblet of wine before downing it whole. To his right, an elven noble with grey hair sips from his own.

"You really must eat, your grace. This will not please them when they return."

"Valtalis, how long have you been telling me this for? FIVE YEARS! I have followed your counsel for all this time. I have spent nearly all my treasury on your botched attempts at rescue and intelligence gathering, as you so aptly call it. Where is that scout?"

Valtalis turns his gaze to Myriam.

"By the gods, dear. You seem to have been summoned. Lord Brunhausser would like a report on your findings."

Myriam bows to both.

"They are in Hammerbruk, sire. I have confirmed they are in the valley. It would be safe to assume they still have their army with them. I have no news on your brother. I came here as quickly as possible.... your daughters will be here very soon."

Lord Vasili Brunhausser gets up from the table, tears in his eyes.

"Child, what you say is true?"

"....tis, sire."

"Excellent, then!", Valtalis interrupts. "We will need some more funding, just to make sure the rescue goes as planned. Do not bother sending in an army, your grace. Myriam should be able to find your daughters now with the intelligence we have acquired. If you'll excuse me?"

Valtalis bows and leads Myriam back into the hallway.

"You are truly have a rotten soul, you know that? You know those two are in the valley and can't come back. Why keep him on false hope?"

Valtalis smiles and places his finger on Myriam's mask, running it swiftly down it's wooden features.

"Research, my dear. We need to know the extent of his power. Also, the funding is a nice bonus. Now, I trust you left the note?"

"Yes, Valtalis. I have."

"Good! Now be a good girl and rendezvous with Spellbane and his merry friends in Hammerbruk once they get there. After that, report to me."

Myriam stands in place.

"What about my face, Valtalis?"

Valtalis turns to her before heading back inside.

"It's behind a mask. I wouldn't know, dear.", Valtalis smiles and leaves Myriam alone in the hallway.