Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
Spoiler
Show
Yeah, that bothered me a lot. I don't even see how Twilight would know that the real Pinkie would even win the "quiz". There was also the fact that "well, only one Pinkie is acting depressed that she messed up all her friends' lives." Hey, maybe it's her? How did anyone know the real Pinkie would watch paint dry?
S3E3:
Spoiler
Show
I actually have an answer to that. The Mirror Pool copies the reflection of the character. The clones created by it are by their very nature shallow copies, extremely "flanderized" version of the character. Clones created from other clones, even moreso. Which is why the final choice was between two Pinkies - one real, and the one clone whom Pinkie briefed on all her friends.

The test was to see which Pinkie had the depth to focus on something boring for the sake of her friends, something that only the real Pinkie possessed. At least, that's my take on it.

As for the antics, I have to agree that the physics-defiance was strong here. Gypsy magic as a stronger form of the Earth ponies' intrinsic bond with nature seems to be the only explanation. We can only hope the show will at some point explain it properly.