Quote Originally Posted by The Grue View Post
This one I have to defend. Parallel histories can make for very interesting campaign settings.

The obvious and too-used one is "what if Germany built the atomic bomb first", but there are plenty of other diversion points in human history. What if the Roman Empire never fell? What if China ruled the seas and colonized the New World, centuries before Europe even heard of them? What if the American colonies lost the War of Independance? Or if France won the Seven Year War? Or if the Aztecs or any other civilization native to the Americas developed gunpowder before Europeans started landing? If the Soviet Union won the space race, would it have still fallen in the 1980s? If the Challenger disaster never occured, would the US Space Program have kept chugging away, and what would come of that?

I think I've made my point; being a parallel history to our own world is hardly a World-Building No-No.
I *think* he meant like Narnia or something, where it's a completely unrelated fantasy world you can reach from the real world through secret magic portals or something.