Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
The problem with removing Disquiet and/or the Wasteland is that it drastically changes the tone of the game, to the point where you have to rewrite pretty much the whole thing, fluff-wise. The entire point of Promethean is that being a Promethean is so terrible that becoming a homeless mortal with no legal identity qualifies as a GOOD END for the character. This is mostly accomplished via Disquiet (people hate you) and the Wasteland (the world hates you). Without those things, you're an ugly, potentially immortal guy with superpowers. Which is cool, I guess, but doesn't come with much in the way of built-in conflict. There are people who'd hate Prometheans anyway, even with no logical reason, but those people hate a lot of humans too. So you end up with a NWoD gameline where the protagonists are better off than mortals in pretty much every way (even the ugliness only shows up if the character uses his or her powers). Even Geist had "and if you don't use your powers responsibly, a burglar will kill Uncle Ben ghosts will haunt you forever" to keep it from becoming a nonstop party that all the PCs are invited to. So what replaces the hate plague as a creator of conflict?

I've thought about altering Disquiet and the Wasteland so that they only start to build up when the characters upset people for non-Disquiet reasons and/or use their powers. Something along those lines would make it possible for PCs to stay in one place for longer than a few days while still retaining the game's central themes. Unfortunately, I haven't written down these changes yet.
S'why I wanted to link it to power use. I want people to have to think hrd about the decision "do I take the easy way out and reveal The Hulk or do I clench my teeth and try to be Bruce for a little longer?" That way Disquiet isn't at the whim of fickle dice but is still an inevitability, and you have the potential for that one really mentally resistant human to be sad to watch them go while the piano music plays.

Maybe you could suffer Disquiet to get back a smidgen of Pyros or stave off the Wasteland. The longer you stay, the more you can choose to either affect the landscape or the people, but at some point, you still have to move on because either one of them has gone crazy.