Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
Empress Trixie’sMissilegasm vs. Beamspam” debate on GalCiv2:

Spoiler
Show
Dear Princes Luna,

The Unicorn Empire enters its… 15th year? Trixie is going to be honest with you, the date is a blur due to the quick pace and management demands these wars have been moving at. The various nations have begun to vary their weapon and defense choices, forcing the Unicorns to do the same. It used to be that everyone simply used Gauss/Railgun weapons, but now they have been all but abandoned in favor of Missile and Beam weapons.
I did notice a trend in which empires pick what to load their battleships with:

Good” aligned empires will favor Missile technology, employing large and slow battleships that tank on the front lines.
Evil” aligned epires will favor Beam weapons, employing smaller, but faster ships that strike and run between the front lines.

There are no Neutral aligned empires remaining.

The Unicorns have found favor with the former choice, although we sacrifice some power for mobility because speed is crucial when you need to intercept an enemy fleet. The only exceptions are the two oldest Battleships in the fleet—The Discord & Nightmare Moon, both still using older Gauss/Railgun weapons, but who are so experience in combat that they receive huge bonuses to offset their lack of modern weapons.

Also, planet Twilight completed construction of a bet I accepted by one of my advisors. They didn’t think I could design anything to go faster than our current constructor ships, which max out at 8 parsecs a week, while being cheaper than a frigate. By comparison, our fastest military frigate is the Mark II Zecora at 6 parsecs/week. So, I now present the Scootaloo—with an unbelievable 21 parsec/week speed.
I believe somepony now owes me 5 bits.

In the most recent weeks, the Unicorns saw three empires fall—
The Space Elves: Their citizens were so enamored by the Unicorn culture that their entire empire assimilated itself into our own. Conquest without bloodshed!
Eddie Izzard: Destroyed utterly by the mercantile empire of the Daehmons. That’s right, there’s an evil military force that’s basically Wal-Mart with battleships. Be afraid.
GlaDOS: surrendered to the “lawful-good” Ryuujin empire after having their homeworld and the nearest 3 colonies to that destroyed by bombardment. Insert your own cake joke here.

This leaves the Unicorn Empire with only 5 opponents: Ryuujin, Magic Girls, Daehmons, the Jagged Knife and Tenners. The former two are good-aligned, the latter three evil. The Unicorns lean good, but do not affiliate themselves with any alliances. It wouldn’t matter to try anyway. The other races know better than to play leapfrog with a Unicorn.

Your Great & Powerful Student,
Trixie Lulamoon
"The other races know better than to play leapfrog with a Unicorn" is the best thing ever. This is why Trixie should be in charge of everything.

Is the Scootaloo a warship?