View Single Post

Thread: LGBTAitP #28: Come Taste the Rainbow!

1. - Top - End - #1065
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP #28: Come Taste the Rainbow!

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    This Zinia Jones article might be fitting right now: Being an abomination is pretty great.
    Applause for Zinnia, that was a very fun video. Go Abominations!*

I have long wondered why natural and normal have become cornerstones of acceptability in so many cultures. Since before we were the lone human species on the at-the-time unnamed planet, we were diverting from our ancestral nature and the customs of our peers. When the planet was named Gaea, we wore woven cloth where fur once was, shaped rocks to monuments of our accomplishments and formed tribes larger than any other mammal. When continents met, we travelled across the seas on artificial leviathans, sent heavy iron roaring through the air for our combat and lighted the sky with colour for our celebrations. In just the few centuries since, we have harnessed lightning itself, the power of medicine and broken the cage of our atmosphere. All by rejecting the conventions of old and further bending nature, and these peeps want us to stop here? At the gates of brighter futures still? O_o

Ahem, sorry. Just got back from a physics' lesson about the history of electricity. A bit sparked about science right now, sorry for bolting into a storm of words. ^_^'

*Does that make us a sports' team? Did I miss the team-layout memo? ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Aaaand that, right there, is why I got "doesn't recognise homosexuality is a thing" in that test all those years ago.
    If he fell for her when she was presenting as male, or even just when she was strongly physically male, does her coming out as a woman negate his self-identity as a gay man? Does his retaining that identity oppose her identity as a woman?
    I have no answers, and I think a lot of it depends on a whole lot of questions of biology and attraction and their impact on sexuality that we just don't have.
    While this is purely a hypothetical; I believe the answer may lie in demisexuality. So far, the terminology can be a bit constricting in that anything between attraction to no members of gender X and attraction to all members of it will identify a person as bisexual, rather than homosexual or heterosexual. But I propose that it may be that, in at least some cases, the subject may experience something similar to demisexuality. They are not physically attracted to gender X by default, but a strong connection may result in it, akin to how someone can be asexual and yet still develop attraction through very strong emotional ties. This would avoid the binary that one is either solely attracted to one gender, or (near) equally attracted to both. Just as demisexual is regarded as a subset of asexuality, this could be regarded as a subset of the sexuality in question.

Or, in less wordy words; The exception proves the rule. In the original sense of "that this specific instance is an exception proves that the rule applies in general" :3

Purely my own musing in regards to this case, but it seems a useful concept in a lot of cases. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    I remember seeing that study too, but I didn't catch the last experiment. I'm not all too surprised, children are afraid (Or flat out hate) things they don't know about. My sister hated airplanes with a passion, not out of any fear of heights ir the like, but out of not knowing how they worked. When I explained the engines and the processes an airplane runs to fly she quickly got over it. Same thing for when a child is afraid of the dark. This of course spreads over to bigotry towards others when a child is presented with something not within their knowledge of "good". Also, I really need to stop reasing this thread when i'm looking forward to careers, I keep getting depressed over all the disapproval (I think hate's too strong of a word) for bankers/lawyers/etc.
    If it helps, a lot of my family members work in law and I like them. My parent's sibling is even a lawyer, and is no worse than anybody else in the family. ^_^

Also like my banker, such a nice person. That is an exception, though, most of them are actually supervillains. They rob other banks to confuse Batgirl.

Sorry, bad joke again. Bankers are no less worthy of approval than any other person, it is an important job. :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    o/ Tychris.

There's a recognisable term for it - neophobia. It's why things like mouse traps often take several days before they catch anything. Mice are instinctively afraid of things they don't recognise or are new to them. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a similar trait in humans.

Doesn't excuse people from being jerks though.
    We do. As far as I know, it is a result of caution being more likely to aid survival than carelessness. Avoiding everything new may not get you to a better place, but it keeps you in the place that you have survived in thus far.

It indeed does not excuse anything, though. It is a poor solution and means you do not actually consider how to improve things, plus it relies on pre-agricultural instincts being the best solution to anything. Which is not the road of cuddly cookies and rainbow hugs. X3

EDIT:

@Zorg: *Hugs* uncertainty is never fun, particularly not when it leads to not doing anything. That usually makes me fear I am getting depressed. :<

*Extra hugs*

Those pictures look quite aesthetically pleasing to me, though. You have a great harmony of traits for showing off clothing. ^_^

Particularly like the coat, I simply must get one of those. It is so pretty. *w*
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2012-11-19 at 11:31 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.