A real gunshot actually is not that easy to identify. It sounds more like a firework (in my experience) than the gunshot sound effect we hear in movies. People will still call the police, hopefully, but I would not assume people will identify it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
The problem is that kevlar is nearly worthless against a thrust from a knife. <snip>

.. it doesn't do much better than a really heavy sweater against a bodkin arrow or a thrusting knife.
Kevlar can be treated to be stab resistant. It's not as good as a rigid plate but it's much better than a "really heavy sweater."

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
(protip: that's why "armor piercing" rounds have a much pointier tip than regular bullets. To get through kevlar and to increase the surface pressure at the point of impact on solid armors.)
This is correct. Just as important to note, though, is that armor piercing is comparatively good at piercing because the standard self-defense bullet (for non-military use) is a hollow point, which is designed to flatten and expand upon impact, transferring more energy to the target. This is more effective against flesh, but less so against a vest, which tries to disperse the energy across a wider area. The hollow point works into this tendency, while the "armor piercing" bullet fights against it.

Quote Originally Posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
I'll have to stop you there. This assumes that the knife wielder has the advantage, it can easily go both ways depending on the situation.

<snip>

It all boils down to a case by case basis. The difference involving distance, skill, and a boatload of other variables too numerous to name.
The person you quote specified an already drawn knife. The Tueller Drill puts the threat range at about 21 feet for holstered gun versus a drawn knife ...which is pretty scary.