It's...at least fourteen times the quality of anything I've been able to come up with. There are a few issues but they're individually minor.

As you said, I usually picture Derek's suit darker, often black, dark grey, or dark blue. I suspect that it wouldn't be quite as flattering on him - still good looking but less 'superhero spandex'.

Mycah looks pretty close to spot-on as far as how she'd look from behind. Mousy brown hair, cut fairly short, wearing traveling leather that's partially armor. The sword's a little big for her fighting style but isn't too bad. By the time Derek was able to stand, she'd put her weapon away, but again, minor nitpick.

As far as the ship's shape, recall that the front end of the ship is buried in its crater. That'd just be the tail end of the ship sticking out, perhaps one half of a wing section (the wings failed to deploy in the crash, also) so really, not a big deal.

But. I have the visual aesthetic sense of a plaid dishrag. So since I have to go to sleep now, I'm leaving this open for my wife to comment on before she goes off to work, if she sees fit:

The overall layout looks good (as far as where everything is placed in relation to each other), but it does seem like Mycah's fading into the background a little. Which, narratively speaking, sort of works- this is her world, and Derek is the one who's supposed to be sticking out like a sore thumb. Still, it seems like a little more red in her outfit (not have her wearing red, but maybe some red accents- something to make her pop out from the background a little more).

On the flipside, Derek seems really shiny. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not ! I really like how unnatural he looks- bright blue against the natural browns and oranges- so I don't think the color is an issue. (I also like how it coordinates with the text.) Since the rest of it is in more realistic shades, though, the shininess of the suit does make him seem a little too obviously a 3D rendering, if that makes sense. Maybe make the suit a little more matte, or add in some details in a more subtle color to break it up a little?

Other than that, the only thing I might add would be a little debris around the ship to make it more obvious that it was a crash. Plus, y'know, nothing like flaming rubble to scream ADVENTURE! Not sure about the limitations of the program you're using though...

Yeah, that was way longer than I intended. Gotta say, it looks good. I think you picked the perfect moment from the book for the cover. There's something about the way they're both just staring at each other going "Welp, here we are. So... now what?"