Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
What does it mean by an "imposition"? What's "accommodating"? That's I think the core issue here. From my perspective, I'm not asking anything from other people in what I do. Rather, they're trying to impose their own comfort zone on me. If you give in on that, what's next? I think the problem I have is with legitimizing this sort of use of force at all. There seems to be no clear line of where this ends, other than what the majority can get away with.
Its the balance that needs to be found between principle and practicality. In principle you are 100% right. That said sticking 100% to your principles can lead to problems. This can be especially true if your principles are significantly different than the majority of people in your area.

Your (3) is not an option. Once this sort of stuff is in play, you cannot stand firm on anything. It's not safe, you will be forced to give it up one way or another. Anything at all you do to protect yourself, be yourself, or be at all different is something you can and probably will be forced to give up. That's what I learned from society.
Are you in a particularly small town or something? Because this seems to be a viewpoint that can be common when looking at a small community wherein most people have similar views on things. I've never seen something like this in the big city I live in (Montreal). Clearly there are places where people will disagree with you, even vehemently at times (language is notable here). But there have always been places to accommodate different views around here. Point being, your location may be exacerbating the issue. I can tell you its certainly not that way everywhere, though that may be small consolation if any, at the moment.