View Single Post

Thread: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

1. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Woot! I unlocked the N7 Fury! I'm too tired to try it out tonight, but I finally unlocked it!

Gives me all of the Earth classes unlocked now. Which actually leaves me unsure what DLC to focus on now. Earth still has a rare weapon (Acolyte) that I want more ranks in, a couple of gears I could use more in, and the rare mods - though truth be told I'm mostly just looking for the SMG High-Velocity Barrel and more ranks in Pistol ULM there. Retaliation has the remaining classes I most want (Asari Valkyrie, Vorcha Hunter), but the only weapon from it that I care for is ultra-rare, and I have enough ranks in the only gear it has that I care about (Medi-Gel Transmitter at 3). Rebellion has one class I don't have but might try (Vorcha Soldier), one weapon I'd like to use if I could get it much lighter and more effective on armor (Reagar Carbine), and most of the gear I want (especially the Grenade Capacity gear). So... yeah, not sure which to go for, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    EDIT: as you've put it, I don't either. But it doesn't stop there, an goes Ito implied roles and functions. The havoc fails at the soldier "role" o weapons and few if any powers, because his playstyle requires light weapons and high cool down. it's like a sex-gender discussion, and you have to be mindful of all the different systems which use "class" an "role", and keep them separate. That's why I started with explaining why I came to the conclusions I did, so we could all use the same definitions (or a least argue them effectively).
    But what is the purpose of a class if not to assign the character a role? Think of any typical class system, and that seems to be precisely its purpose. In fantasy games from Final Fantasy to D&D you get Fighters who act as front-line tanks with powerful melee abilities; Rogues who trade some phsyical prowess for more mobility, dodge rate, and some special skills; dedicated healers in a support role (Cleric, White Mage, etc); mages as glass-canon blasters with some support abilities; jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none classes (Bard, Red Mage, etc), so on and so forth. Sometimes you have some flexibility within the class (i.e. Dragon Age Rogues choosing between two-weapon fighting and archery) but the class still defines their role to a greater degree than their other selections (i.e. those same Rogues are still glass cannons either way - if you want to play something durable, you play a Warrior instead).

If we separate "class" from "role," what purpose does "class" serve as a concept anymore?

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-11-22 at 11:46 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis