Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
Also:
With Knight of Infamey out, I use him to block a Loxodon Smite with Rancor on it. Does trample damage really go over even though Knight of Infamey has Protection from White(damage from a white source cannot be dealt to this creature)? After all, no damage can be dealt...it was rules for me that trample still went over. Even though in play testing I was using a trample combination on my creature that was blocked by a creature with Protection from Black(my creature was Lotleth Troll). There would have been damage left over for trample, but the judge for our FNM ruled it then that no damage rolled over as no damage could have been dealt in the first place because my opponent's creature had Protection from Black.
Yes, trample damage "goes over". What happens is that damage is assigned as normal (in the case of Knight of Infamy blocking Rancor'd Loxodon Smiter, presumably 1 damage is assigned to the Knight, 5 to the defending player), then when the damage is resolved the damage to the Knight is prevented by protection.