Hm... I just read the article on multiclassing in D&D Next, and I am interested in how Wizards is going to make multiclass casters viable. In D&D 3.5, a fighter 10/wizard 10 had none of the strengths of its component classes and all of its weaknesses. The Eldritch Knight prestige class was made as a band-aid fix to arcane caster multiclassing, and while it worked, it turned prestige classes from optional to mandatory when you wanted to replicate the fighter/mages of earlier editions.

I'm thinking that they're going to implement 1/2 caster progression for non-caster classes in a multiclass, and vice-versa. Kind of like how multiclass ToB classes work. For example, a fighter 2/wizard 2 would be the equivalent of a fighter 3/wizard 3, and a fighter 18/wizard 2 would be the equivalent of a fighter 18/wizard 11.

If you go 50/50, a fighter 10/wizard 10 is like a fighter 15/wizard 15. Is a gestalt fighter//wizard 15 the equivalent of a fighter 20 or a wizard 20? No, not in the horribly unbalanced mess of D&D 3.5. But if the classes were more balanced in D&D Next, perhaps it might be worth it.

What about 3/4 progression for your other class? A fighter 10/wizard 10 would then become fighter 17/wizard 17, which is close to how much fighter/mages lagged in levels from pure classes.

Can't wait to see how multiclass characters work in D&D Next...