View Single Post

Thread: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

1. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Tried out respeccing my Fury today. First, to a 6/6/6/0/6 build, with Radius/Damage Taken/Drain on AF and max defense in Fitness. Armed with just a Phalanx 10 to account for the loss of carry capacity. Surprisingly, the Radius boost on AF is actually pretty substantial - I'd say absolutely essential to use a close-range, AF -> Throw Fury. That build made that tactic viable - although mostly against Cerberus and the Geth. It had a harder time against the Collectors and especially Reapers, who have fewer shielded units to drain from. My first match with it was Reapers/London, and was a disaster after the first few waves went well.

I then tried switching to something more oriented to what I was doing before, 6/6/6/5/3 with Radius/Speed/Damage on AF. And was not nearly as happy with it as I had hoped to be, honestly. The Speed boost from AF was noticeable, but the Radius boost to the detonation effect wasn't nearly as noticeable as it is to the priming effect, and the damage wasn't as much better as I'd hoped. Plus, the loss of the duration boost that comes with Drain actually made it a lot harder to just set AF at the start of a wave and detonate it when an opportunity presented itself.

So ultimately, I switched back to the 6/6/6/0/6 build. Mostly because, honestly, it can do both the ranged, Dark Channel and Throw oriented tactic and the close-combat AF and Throw tactic. Sure it loses some damage from the AF detonation, but as I said I wasn't as impressed with that as I'd hoped to be, and the flexibility of having both strategies available will work better I think. Just need to work on when to use each.

I am a bit worried about what I'll do with the Asari Valkyrie to differentiate them once I get her though, since she basically has to do the close-combat tactic, lacking a ranged power other than Warp as she does.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    But the pattern is very clear. Sentinels are defensive. They are hard to put down. They get armor, or regeneration, or a literal wall, usually ablative. It even says this in the multiplayer screen.
    Tech Armor knock-offs are present on Soldiers (Krogan, Batarian, Geth), Vanguards (Krogan, Batarian), and an Adept (Krogan). Bloodlust is purely a Vorcha thing, not a Sentinel thing, as seen by the fact that both the Vorcha Soldier and Engineer get it as well. Same deal for Shield Boost on the Volus - all three of the others get it just the same.

It's kind of hard to claim that those define the Sentinel class when all but one of the other classes (Infiltrators) can lay claim to them as well. So if that's what they're going for, they're kind of failing at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Why? Dark channel will move to a new target who is them primed. I you're working with a group of enemies, you won't need to use dark channel again at all until the next group shows up. Or do you mean do you can use throw faster?
    He probably means for big targets that won't get taken out by a single Dark Channel -> Throw combo. Dark Channel may remain in effect after a combo, but it can't be detonated again on the same enemy unless reapplied.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-11-24 at 10:38 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis