Which points out the big problem of WotC-D&D. I will not use the G-word here, but WotC approached D&D very much as a game to create competitive character builds based on stats and class features.
Which isn't anything at all like what TSR-D&D was about.

To use another really bad word, about a year after its introduction, 3rd Edition changed from Roleplay to Rollplay. But the PHB already laid the foundation for that.

Previous editions seem to approach the game from the perspective of characters, social interaction, and fantastic society and then tacked on a mathmatical system to bring in a factor of uncertainty and some randomness in the success or failure of the PCs attempted action. 3rd Edition very quickly became a combat system with some decorative fluff as window dressing.

4th Edition saw a problem, but in my oppinion did exactly the wrong things by trying to create a game that works more smoothly but still focused on the WotC-paradigm of game design.
Now with 5th Edition, I do think I see some real evidence that the paradigm issue is actually aknowledged and there's real effort to deal with it. How much of it survives until the finished game reamains to be seen, with the reworked rogue and especially the monk again slipping back into class feature overload. Having fighters select from a pool of 20 or so maneuvers was a genuinly smart move to add some grit to a class that was always mechanically bland. But now there's some hints that the same stuff gets added to all other classes that already have class features of their own, creating bloat even before half of the core rules classes are developed.