1. - Top - End - #1296
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    You eliminate the person behind them. By making cars rigid you are actually letting the problem solve itself.
    At the inverse, if the car is front heavy: gravity will have a greater torque on the back because it's farther away from the centre of mass; making it fall trunk first but it is somewhat more complex. See below.
    If it falls parallel to the floor torque will make it rotate because the centre of mass is not in the exact centre; assuming the car faces the left it, will rotate clockwise.

Because gravity keeps constant direction and torque is defined in terms of distance from the centre of mass rotating decreases the distance between the trunk and the centre of mass. Because the front DOES have more mass, the force on the front will be slightly bigger and there comes a point where the distance of the back is overpowered by the increased mass on the front making torque go the other way and making the car accelerate counter-clokwise, this in turn increases the distance which will eventually overpower the mass and make it rotate clockwise.

Repeat for a while until it either crashes or some interesting thing which would pop up if I did the calculations happens, said interesting thing might probably be a fixed angle where both effects cancel and the torques remain from that point in constant cancellation, angular velocity and acceleration equal to 0, that or air resistance or terminal velocity make things happen.
    I believe, to interpret and redistribute the truth, that this means that the air is not enough to stop the car from continuing its spiralatic turns in the air. Dropping it horizontally, the nose begins to flip, but air resistance is hardly enough to stop the pendulum like movement. However, unlike a pendulum, there is no rope or chain to resist a continued movement, and it will proceed to keep spinning in the air.

Thus, the car goes from normal to facing the ground to hilariously upside down to standing up on its rear wheels in the air, and then back to a normal looking car position, then so on until it inpacts the surface, causing, since its a car, A MASSIVE EXPLOSION.

Oh Curly. Happy to hear you're alright. I was worried! We hadn't had any non-furry Wall of Texts in a while...
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-11-26 at 05:15 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.