Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
I can't say as that I'm a big fan of being told by someone who was unemployed for a day before being headhunted for new jobs that the only reason I haven't found a job this year is because I haven't tried hard enough. Apparently cleaning up **** in a nightclub isn't "slumming it" enough and I think I'm too good for a real job, never mind how utterly humiliating it was to discover that I am genuinely, completely TERRIBLE at fast food work.
I thought walking away was probably a better idea than "you and your friend can go **** yourselves".
I dunno, I'd have probably gone with plan B.

My first job was working in a canteen by myself. The pay was crap and the customers were all [REDACTED]. The management, on the extremely rare occasions they decided to grace me with their presence, had nothing positive to tell me about my work. Yet I'll always be grateful for doing the work though, because it drummed into my head that the people behind a fast food counter are actually *people*.

There's absolutely nothing "slumming" about fast food work - you have to work your ass off. I'm guessing your acquaintences never had this particular baptism of fire?