Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
You know, in a way I understand the anticlimatic end. Sometimes you write yourself into a corner and all you can do is start over. Sure it would have been nice if the final story arc was better, but if he had been able to write better story arcs with his characters, he wouldnt have had to press the reset button in the first place. The way I see it, at least he TRIED to create an interesting end to the story. He could have just done a, "rocks fall, ethan dies" routine and had the early days ninja show up and kill him, but he didnt. He tried to come up with as close to an epic ending as he could think of.

And honestly, with better characters and such, it could have been an actual epic ending. The heroes choice, the noble self sacrifice, the Armegeddon style life flashing before your eyes as you willingly die to save everything, etc etc etc. But like he admitted, his character just wasnt suited to real story arcs, so it fell flat, like most of his story arcs did.
I think it fell flat because he tried to handle it in a way that doesn't work even though he knew it wasn't going to work. There is nothing wrong with writing a serious story in an otherwise funny work but you have to be able to do so. These characters are not suited towards this kind of story and Buckley is not a good enough writer to write an 'epic' ending.

I think Buckley makes good jokes in regards to comics. I don't think he's that bad at writing characters. There are some things that he is bad at however and he crammed all of those things into his ending.

Saying that the characters aren't suited to arcs doesn't make any sense. They are suited to arcs that fit those characters, they are not suited to arcs like this though. So why force it? Why not have something sweet and funny?