Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Blinky View Post
Spoiler
Show
While I agree that the thing with Molly felt like a bit of an ass-pull, I think that Leah was supposed to somehow be molding Molly during that time, specifically with the idea of turning her into a vassal of Winter in case of just this sort of eventuality.

And I think you're exactly right about the Warden vs. warden thing, and I think that's what's pretty heavily implied in the story; that the Wardens or even the entire White Council were first organized to guard Demonreach, and just sort of lost their purpose over time.

I do have one thing that's been bugging me about Demonreach though: why there? Why in the middle of Lake Michigan? Because while it makes sense in the context of Dresden's story, in that of course it's close to Chicago, why would Merlin, a most likely European wizard, put his prison in the middle of North America? Especially when considering that in the time-frame involved, Columbus hadn't even discovered the New World yet? I know that distances like that aren't exactly the same for a wizard, and that perhaps the fact that it was so far from most of the large civilizations of the time was the entire point, but it just strikes me as a little odd.
Spoiler
Show
Regarding Molly- I assumed myself that the mantle goes after whomever is most 'worthy'- and Molly was first selected due to her psychological and magical nature (Priven Guilty), then carefully trained by Lea to be a suitable lady (Ghost Story). While a Changeling is better than a mortal, a specially prepared mortal is better than some random changeling.

And of course, Mab was right there, and could have just directed it to Molly 'manually'.

Did Lilly actually become Fairy and if so, was this an inherent result of the mantle or because she 'chose?' I remember the Gatekeeper saying the mantle was passed to a 'mortal'.