1. - Top - End - #374
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Real World Weapons or Armour Question? Mk XI

Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaich View Post
    *snip*
    The point of confusion on crossbows is simply that there were many different types of crossbows, which required much different levels of skill to use, cost different amounts, and were used by different types of people.

*snip*

Regrding crossbows, there were many different types.

A weapon like this, with a draw weight of around 150-200 lbs, was fairly simple to use, like a modern hunting crossbow. You could span it with your hands. Often they would have a simple wooden prod (bow), usually made of yew, or sometimes a steel prod like this one. This would basically be a hunting weapon which could also be used in war or for self defense.

[img]http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/images/crossbows/ts-img-battle-crossbow_350x175.jpg[/img]

This is a more powerful weapon in the 300-400 lb draw range. To span it you'll need a belt-hook or a device like a 'goats foot'. At that level of power, the bow is somewhat dangerous to use. If you slip while spanning it, or if the prod breaks, you could be injured. A lot of these also had composite prods which could easily be damaged by rain, so the prod had to be kept covered. The string is also vulnerable to moisture regardless of the type of prod.

[img]http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/images/crossbows/ts_img_late-14thc-warbow_500x258[/img]

In the later Middle Ages crossbows like these started to appear, with up to 1200 lbs draw. This is a lot more powerful than any crossbow you can get today. So people assume crossbows are like the ones they are familiar with, of the same level of power as the really simple one above. These things can't be spanned by hand, you have to use a device like a jack. If you slip while spanning, if the string or prod breaks, you could get seriously injured. In terms of power it's closer to a rifle or a musket than what we usually think of as a bow. This is a weapon which will be used by an expert.

[img]http://collections.glasgowmuseums.com/media/E_1939_65_te_1&[2]_01_S.jpg[/img]

a lot of these weapons were actually used mounted

*snip*
    Similarly, you also have powerful siege crossbows like this, spanned by a windlass.

[img]http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/images/crossbows/ts_img_windlass-crossbow_400x218.jpg[/img]

G
    Hello again, although it seems no one here has interest in slingshots, I have more questions, all around the idea of muscle-powered projectile weapons. I would appreciate if someone replied.

I guess what I really want to ask is your opinion on the possibility using bows, crossbows and such for civilian/nonmilitary self-defense in the 21st Century. Now, I know this is unrealistic; if under threat from something—be it some kind of gang-related group, paramilitia, rebel/terrorist groups, the walking dead —were threatening one or more people, and those people were faced with little reasonable hope for mercy or escape, then those people would want to use firearms. The reason seems clear: firearms are simply the most deadly individually operated weapons ever devised. But, in some cases the people trying to defend themselves are in a country where one would have a hard time obtaining firearms. Or maybe one doesn't want to attract attention to oneself with loud noises. Hand-to-hand fighting is one option here, but I think, as everyone here agrees, few untrained or half-trained people make it out alive once the knives are drawn. That leaves bows, crossbows, slingshots, spear-guns and the like.

Medieval type longbows are awesome and extremely deadly (in the right hands, of course), but no one in today's world, with some exceptions, has the time or patience to train for years just to become proficient in their use. What about modern recurves/compound bows, such as those used for hunting? Would any of you consider using them? I can kind of see their drawbacks already (besides the obvious one, that in a fight between any two people with equal training, the one with a gun, such as a hunting rifle, would defeat the one with a bow 9 times out of 10), but I would like other people's opinions.

Crossbows, such as modern ones used for hunting, have the advantage over bows that one can keep the weapon cocked and loaded for longer lengths of time, and better accuracy for the inexperienced shooter. (I've also seen them touted as the ideal anti-zombie weapon). Would any of you take these over bows? I quoted Galloglaich above since I found the medieval crossbows interesting. Would anyone think of using those? I found a video of a latchet crossbow built by Tod from todsstuff as well. It looks very nice.

Here's a video brought to my attention recently of an unusual form of compound bow. What are one's thoughts on it? Link.

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    A friend linked me to this guy doing very fancy speed-archery. Like jumping down from a raised platform and shooting three arrows, or having 11 arrows in the air before the first hits the ground.

There are probably some errors in the narration ("all cultures used bows", which sounds like it's using speech synthesis, but it's probably still worth seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
    That's indeed impressive. I am reading the posts all on this topic attentively.

And for anyone who replies, thank you for taking the time to read my overgrown post, and putting up with my ignorance, which I'm sure shows through all my words like holes in Swiss cheese.
    Last edited by Kurien; 2012-12-01 at 05:14 PM.