1. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most likely Faerie just "is" like any other part of the Nevernever, and they were given/took on the job of protecting against Outsiders because they're the group of immortals most concerned with and connected with the natural world, so (A) they have a vested interest in keeping the Outsiders out, as opposed to fallen angels that might hold a grudge against the world or Black Court vampires who have nothing to lose or similar, and (B) they're basically everywhere that nature is whereas the old gods, vampires, etc. seem more geographically restricted.

We haven't seen any other faction yet that exists for something--the White Court, for instance, are all about preying on mortals but they weren't (so far as we know) specifically created by the White God or anyone else to serve as a predator on humans--and we haven't seen evidence yet that any one creature or faction created everything with a Plan in mind, so I think it's leaping to conclusions to assume Faerie has a Purpose they were created to fulfill.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe created isn't the right word, but the large number of responsibilities faerie seems to have (fighting outsiders, maintaining the balance of nature, overseeing diplomatic treaties) seems to me to suggest that this system didn't exactly evolve naturally. Also the fact that Mab (and by extension Titania who is supposed to be her sister) was originally mortal makes me think that the Faeries might not be a native born part of the Nevernever. I'm not saying that it was some sort of god that did it, but perhaps some ancient humans/faeries.
    Last edited by Drolyt; 2012-12-01 at 02:50 PM.