Blackie growls and hisses at the Paladin and digs her claws into Jess's shoulders, making her wince, but apart from a brief clenching of the fists the woman herself shows no sign of anger. "If I could set up a mourning mother and that little bundle of bones, choirboy... I'm not that good, let alone any other reasons there."

She pauses, trying to think of how to fit the next thought into Audric's mind. "Said mother? Remember how she flinched at you? That's the reaction Church gets 'round here. Yistin doing something nasty wouldn't be news to many around here, only hidden news. If what he were doing was reasonable, why'd her mother never hear from the kid? And he drew his sword on me, which was why I shot at him - the arm, note, as so not to kill. And all that lead up means-" Jess takes a deep breath again "-that 'what you do' is help people who others won't help, and it's been years since I seen a paladin do that. You want to throw that away and leave the trodden with no protection?" There's an edge of bitterness in her voice just then, swiftly swallowed.