Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
Sure it can be in the PHB, but then class descriptions should have first the basic class featured and then follow with boxes for optional rules.
The problem isn't so much picking a class ability at level up, but being swamped with class features during gameplay.

In AD&D fighters had passive bonuses to their attack and damage rolls depending on their weapon proficiencies, and thieves could backstab when they join a fight and for the most part that was perfectly fine.
It doesn't have to be that simple. Having three maneuvers and two attacks per round as a 7th level fighter and rogues being able to sneak attack every round for 2d6 extra damage is fine. If you keep it that simple and allow people to play such a simple game, and also giving the option to play a more complex game, everyone can be happy.
If you cram everything in the basic non-optional rules, only the battle chess players are happy.

I think rules creep is the greatest threat for 5th Edition becomming a good game.

I agree.

I like playing a fighter because you get to fight and do cool feats of strength and the like. If I wanted to have to read pages upon pages of special effects and other stuff I would be playing a magic user.

And for all it's worth, check the mighty deed of arms from Dungeon Crawl Classic.

Basicaly, with every attack you can declare a mighty deed and do something cool (blind someone, open a wooden door using a goblin, disarm, inscribe a Z in your foe's clothing, basically anything cool that has to do with the situation at hand). Then you roll your attack and your deed die. If you attack hits and your die is higher than 3, you succeed. The higher you are in level, the bigger the die. It basically solves the need for maneuvers leaving it to the playe to come up with cool stuff and resolving it with one die.